The Value of Patch Management
In an era of increasing cyberattacks, patch management is one of the most effective security tasks a company must invest in. Mobile Computer Services, a managed IT services company, discusses patch management in detail and its importance in a cyber security strategy.
What is patch management?
Patch management is a cyclical process of identifying, classifying, remediating, and mitigating the security risks and vulnerabilities of software, computers, servers, and technology systems. This procurement, testing, and installation of patches or changes in code or data aims to upgrade, optimize, or secure existing programs to maintain operational efficacy. This process should be an ongoing part of a cybersecurity plan.
Statistically, 57% of data breaches occur due to poor patch management as organizations often take longer to test and roll out patches.
The patch management process begins with reviewing updates from software vendors, scanning the network for vulnerabilities, identifying missing patches, deploying patches as needed, and ends with evaluating status reports.
Benefits of patch management
An organization’s network needs to be updated with the latest patches to reduce the risk of a breach that ends with data theft, legal issues, and reputation damage to the company. Patching is not just another layer of security, but also a way to improve productivity, support compliance, and inspire innovation.
- Security: An effective patch management enhances the security levels. Often patches are developed after a data breach experience.
- Productivity: Patching helps systems function more efficiently as they are prone to fewer bugs and crashes. A smoothly functioning system increases team productivity as there is no time wasted in managing breaches and the consequent damage.
- Compliance: As the compliance rules continue to evolve with modern technology, companies need to stay updated in their cybersecurity strategies to avoid legal and financial penalties. Besides government institutions, healthcare services, and financial sectors, other industries are now becoming increasingly regulated.
- Innovation: New features and functionality of systems increase efficiency and innovation by streamlining processes and enabling the performance of activities that were not possible earlier.
Best practices for patch management
Effective patch management may be time-consuming but is crucial to the security of a business and its operational efficiency. Here are a few recommendations on patching:
- Educate the staff: The staff must be made aware of the importance of patch management. Setting clear expectations and communicating the process ensures employees restart their computers for updates when prompted. This patching process is necessary to protect the network.
- Choose the right software: Every company’s requirements are unique. The IT team must understand and select the system they can manage comfortably.
- Rapid response and application: Statistics say that it takes a company almost two months to mitigate critical vulnerabilities in its system. A patching process can enable a fast and efficient response to bugs and streamline the deployment of critical patches.
- Proactive testing: A regular checkup of the existing patches and software for bugs or vulnerabilities is a proactive and effective way of reducing the risk of a cyberattack.
Downtime, compromised data, or even loss of business are some of the drastic consequences of unpatched software. Mobile Computer Services can create a patch management process for organizations and help them bulletproof their cyber security plan with constant updates and monitoring.
Why Mobile Computer Services?
Mobile Computer Services is a professional IT services company that works with small and medium-sized businesses in Raleigh NC. The services include:
- Managed IT services - 24x7 proactive monitoring and management of the company's IT infrastructure.
- Network services: Comprehensive care for the network systems provided by certified technicians.
- Business continuity planning: Get the business back on its feet swiftly during and after disasters.
- IT consulting: High-caliber advice from professional consultants to help achieve business goals.
- Security: Safeguard business from malicious hackers and cyber attacks.
- On-demand services: Day or night, the dedicated support staff is always available to assist.
- Office move: Professional office relocation and network cabling services.
- VoIP: Reduce telecom expenses and improve communications with powerful phone systems.
- Email Protection: Protect mail systems from spam and malware.
Contact Mobile Computer Services, Inc. at Raleigh NC today at (919) 830-9448 to find out about its Managed IT services.